Current Public Seminars
"It provided a great deal of information about many facets of cloud computing and the primary market players."
Ron Baillie, Enterprise Architect, Tullow Oil plc
Enterprise Cloud Computing
|Click here to hear Jason give a short overview of this seminar|
Click here for an in-house quote request or for further information regarding in-house training.
Cloud Computing is the latest buzzword in enterprise IT shops around the world — but scratch the surface, and Cloud Computing consists of a number of existing trends in IT, including virtualization, Software-as-a-Service, utility computing, and more. Adding to the confusion is a large helping of vendor hype, as both software and hardware vendors push Cloud Computing as an excuse to buy more gear.
The reality, however, is quite different. Cloud Computing presents a variety of operational and deployment models that can help enterprises reduce infrastructure costs, provide better customer value, and position themselves for the future. But organizations won’t succeed with the Cloud unless they understand the strengths and weaknesses of Cloud Computing and have a carefully planned architectural approach that positions Cloud-based capabilities in the context of existing IT assets and challenges.
This intensive two day workshop prepares you to leverage the Cloud to achieve real business value. We cut through the hype and separate what really works from the noise.
- A clear, vendor-independent understanding of Cloud Computing.
- A well-delineated conception of the strengths and weaknesses of Cloud’s three service models: Software-as-a-Service, Platform-as-a-Service, and Infrastructure-as-a-Service, as well as Cloud’s four deployment models: public, private, community, and hybrid.
- The tools and expertise necessary to put together a Cloud roadmap and migration plan for their organizations.
- An understanding of how to place the Cloud into the context of their current Enterprise Architecture and IT strategy.
- Practical intelligence and advice on securing the Cloud and putting together a robust Cloud governance framework.
Introduction & Definitions
- Formal Definition of Cloud Computing
- NIST Cloud Computing Definition Framework
- Conceptual Reference Model
- Cloud Deployment Scenarios
- The Enterprise Context
- Pioneers of the Cloud
- Cloud Service Orchestration
Case Study: M-Dot / Inmar
Virtualization, Workloads & Pods
- Virtualization Basics
- Protection Rings
- Cloud Workloads
- Availability Zones
- Cloud Storage
- Cloud Control Systems
- Automated Cloud Configuration
- Fully Automated Provisioning
- VM Images
- Cloud Configuration Toolchain
- Cloud Configuration Maturity Levels
Case Study: reddit Condé Nast
Architecting for the Cloud
- Vendor Spin
- Enterprise Architecture Cloud Strategy
- Cloud Computing Roadmap
- CAP Theorem
- Transactions in the Cloud
- Stateful Applications in the Cloud
Exercise: Application consolidation & migration
Amazon Web Services Tutorial
- Deploying a Sample App
- Amazon CloudFormation
- Provisioning a dev Environment in EC2
- Configuration Options
- Using a Key Pair, Amazon Machine Image Instance Options
- Context for Cloud Standards
- API Standards
- Core Cloud Standards and Standards Bodies
- Cloud Semantic Standards
- Risk Profile
- Threat and Vulnerability Analysis
- Federated Security
- Security Standards
- Data Confidentiality
- Data Availability
- Virtual Security (VirtSec)
- Virtual Private Clouds
Case Study: Amazon.com
- Cloud Governance Challenges
- Cloud Service Brokers
- Auditing, Assurance
- Incident Response
- Cloud Compliance Directions
- Cloud Mandate in the US Government
Exercise: Cloud Governance
Big Data & the Cloud
- Big Data Motivations
- The Three V’s
- Big Data & The Cloud
- NoSQL Landscape
- Hadoop Distributed File System
- Big Data at Apache
- Setting the Bar for Private Clouds
- Hadoop Architecture at Orbitz
- Big Data Governance
- Vendor independent — We discuss vendors in context, both good and bad. You get a balanced perspective on each vendor we discuss.
- Architecture focused — The course concentrates on what architects have to do to be successful with Cloud in their own organizations. We balance technology details with organizational approaches. If you’re not an architect you’ll learn how to think like one in this class!
- Practical — we connect theory to practice with what really works in organizations like yours.
- Current — we refresh the course on a regular basis to reflect the latest Cloud Computing and Cloud Architecture best practices.
- Enterprise context — We place Cloud Computing into the context of large organizations, with complex, heterogeneous IT environments and all the politics and bureaucracy that every large organization faces.
- Led by globally recognized Cloud and Architecture thought leader Jason Bloomberg and co-author of the new book, The Agile Architecture Revolution.
- Not too technical, not too high-level — Unlike courses offered by others, we cover the technology without getting lost in the details. We discuss the big picture but connect it to the day-to-day reality of the IT shop.
Anyone involved in the IT decision making process can get substantial value from this course. No specific technical knowledge is required. Some of the roles that will feel comfortable in this course include:
- Enterprise Architect
- IT Manager
- IT Strategist
- Technical Architect
- Infrastructure Architect
- IT Consultant
- Solution Architect
- Infrastructure Manager
- Operations Manager
Jason Bloomberg is President of ZapThink, a Dovel Technologies Company. He is a global thought leader in the areas of Cloud Computing, Enterprise Architecture, and Service-Oriented Architecture. He is a frequent conference speaker and prolific writer. His new book, The Agile Architecture Revolution: How Cloud Computing, REST-based SOA, and Mobile Computing are Changing Enterprise IT (John Wiley & Sons), was published in March 2013.
- Subject matter and/or speaker required
- Estimated number of delegates
- Location (town, country)
- Number of days required (if different from the public course)
- Preferred date
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8866 8366
Fax: +44 (0) 2036 277202
Speaker: Jason Bloomberg
IRM UK Conferences
Business Analysis Conference Europe 2016
Enterprise Data and BI Conference Europe 2016
Innovation, Business Change, and Technology Forum Europe 2017
Click here to purchase past conference documentation.