Current Public Seminars
"I rank the training on agile requirements as one of the best and most useful courses I have taken in my career. Ellen provided us with great simple material that I can use in my daily work and explained the principles of agile methodology in a simple and understandable way."
Simona Gilardi, Senior Business Analyst, S Gilardi GmbH
Collaborating to Define and Confirm Needs
Click here for an in-house quote request or for further information regarding in-house training.
This seminar and workshop teaches you how to discover and continually refine a healthy product backlog to deliver high value products. You learn effective, efficient, and creative ways for stakeholders to converse as “product partners”, gain an appreciation of the content and the timing of requirements analysis in agile projects, and why it’s crucial for the entire project community to collaborate throughout each delivery cycle.
Through practical, integrated workshop exercises you learn to holistically analyze product needs and make just-in-time decisions on what to deliver next. Using collaborative techniques, you learn to slice features and stories into well-understood, valuable chunks. You experience how to engage in “structured conversations” to discover and allocate high-value options for the next delivery cycle, at any level of agile product planning.
Delegates also receive their own copy of the book, Discover to Deliver: Agile Product Planning and Analysis, by Ellen Gottesdiener and Mary Gorman.
- Understand the agile framework and how it differs from traditional development
- Describe key concepts foundational to rapidly discovering product needs (requirements)
- Analyze product needs using the 7 Product Dimensions, requirements analysis models, and examples to holistically discover and allocate requirements to plans
- Assemble high value product options into cohesive stories using an explore-then-evaluate pattern
- Confirm stories with scenarios and acceptance tests
- Describe the value of using analysis models to explore, evaluate, confirm and allocate product needs
- Allocate product needs to planning views
- Explain key principles and practices of agile requirements analysis and how to transition to agile analysis practices
Agile Foundations Overview
- Key concepts: Product, product partners, value, product backlog
- Intro to Agile: differences from traditional development; timing, agile requirements characteristics, agile roles
- Intro to Stories
The Structured Conversation
- The seven dimensions of product requirements
- Explore and evaluate the user, action, data, control product dimensions (functional and nonfunctional requirements)
- Analysis models
- Stories and scenarios
- Steel rod, thread
- Acceptance tests
- Given-when-then and data examples
- Explore and evaluate the interface, quality attribute, environment product dimensions (nonfunctional requirements)
- Crosscutting requirements
Allocate Product Needs
- Agile plans and views
- Minimum marketable features (MMFs)
- Adapt the 7 Product Dimensions
Agile Analysis: Good Practices
- 7 guidelines for agile business analysis (IIBA®BABOK® Agile Extension)
- Process practices that work
- Agile modeling and documentation
- Making analysis “lean”
- Success with agile business analysis: skills, knowledge, practices
- Apply practices in a new workshop exercise, pulling together all practices
- Retrospective of the practicum
- Actions to apply the training in your work
This course is valuable for all members of agile discovery and delivery teams including:
- Business Analysts
- Requirements Engineers
- Data Analysts, Architects and Administrators
- Software developers and designers
- Product owners, customers and users
- Scrum masters/project leaders/facilitators
- Subject matter experts
- User interface/experience experts
- Agile project advisers, and coaches
Anyone who is involved in defining, discovering, analyzing, verifying, validating, and specifying product needs and translating them into working software and products containing software will benefit from this training.
Exposure to and awareness of agile concepts, techniques and terminology. Awareness and knowledge of good requirements practices and analysis models.
You experience the essential practices and many of the tools and techniques in Ellen Gottesdiener and Mary Gorman’s popular book, Discover to Deliver: Agile Product Planning and Analysis.
Agile Requirements: Collaborating to Define and Confirm Needs is endorsed by the International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®) and aligns with the IIBA’s Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK®) applicable tasks and techniques. By attending this course you’ll earn 21PDs (Professional Development hours) or 21CDUs (Continuing Development Units).
This course, Agile Requirements: Collaborating to Define and Confirm Needs, is endorsed by the IIBA andregistered under EBG Consulting, an IIBA Endorsed Educational Provider. The course is aligned with the BABOKv2.0 and the Agile Extension
Ellen Gottesdiener, Founder and Principal with EBG Consulting, is an internationally recognized facilitator, coach, trainer, and speaker. She is an expert in Agile product and project management practices, product envisioning and roadmapping, business analysis and requirements, retrospectives, and collaboration. Ellen works with global clients and speaks at numerous industry conferences. She is a Certified Professional Facilitator and a Certified Scrum Master. In addition to co-authoring Discover to Deliver: Agile Product Planning and Analysis, with Mary Gorman, Ellen is author of two acclaimed books: Requirements by Collaboration and The Software Requirements Memory Jogger.
- Subject matter and/or speaker required
- Estimated number of delegates
- Location (town, country)
- Number of days required (if different from the public course)
- Preferred date
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8866 8366
Fax: +44 (0) 2036 277202
Speaker: Ellen Gottesdiener