Current Public Seminars
"The opening example on leverage using data model was fantastic. Steve is an awesome teacher; He uses lots of analogues, personal examples to keep the classes lively. I am so impressed with the Data Model Scorecard and the entire class structures around it."
"I thought the course was very worthwhile. It brought a new perspective to Data Modelling and Steve Hoberman is a natural teacher. He used analogies from real life, such as the settings on a camera, that made all of the examples easy to understand and remember. The Masterclass is a natural follow on to the Fundamentals class and, unlike other courses, time wasn't wasted going over old ground from the previous two days. I would recommend this course to anyone wanting to breath new life into their data modelling skills."
Sara-Louise Ewen, Data Governance Manager, ACCA
"An extremely interesting and engaging course - I enjoyed it immensely! You are a very gifted trainer and managed through your enthusiasm for the subject and interesting anecdotes, to make the course a very enjoyable experience."
Jonathan J Hall, Data Analyst, HSBC Bank Plc
"IRM courses are always taught by top professionals. In this case it was Steve Hoberman for the Data Modelling Masterclass. Even though I am a seasoned data modeler I walked out of the course with new techniques and concepts to aid in my daily work activities. Steve Hoberman is indeed an international thought leader in this area and I recommend his classes highly."
Angelo R Bobak, Director, Business Intelligence, Siemens IT Solutions and Services, Inc.
"Excellent speaker. Used various examples. Good stuff."
Adebukonla Onabadejo, NSPIS Custody System Analyst, National Policing Improvement Agency
"Steve was enthusiastic, very knowledgeable, humourous and a great instructor."
Jacqueline Tomlinson, Data Analyst, Pension Protection Fund
Data Modelling Masterclass
Sharpen Your Data Modelling Skills
12-13 September 2013, London
13-14 March 2014, London
- Learning Objectives
- Seminar and Workshop Outline
- Speaker Biography
- Seminar Fee
- Multiple Seminar Booking Discount and Group Booking Discount
- Hotel Venue and Accommodation
Click here for an in-house quote request or for further information regarding in-house training.
The Masterclass starts off with an overview of the Data Model Scorecard®, ten categories for validating data model quality. Each of these categories is then discussed, with an emphasis on advanced techniques and guidelines within data modelling and requirements elicitation. You will know not just how to build a data model, but also how to build a data model well. Several case studies and many exercises reinforce the material and enable you to apply these techniques in your current projects.
- Validate any data model through the Data Model Scorecard®
- Apply requirements elicitation techniques including interviewing and prototyping
- Practice finding structural soundness issues and standards violations
- Recognize situations where abstraction would be most valuable and situations where abstraction would be most dangerous
- Use a series of templates for capturing and validating requirements, and for data profiling
- Express how to write clear, complete, and correct definitions
- Leverage the Grain Matrix, enterprise data model, and available industry data models for a successful enterprise architecture.
We will cover the following eleven topics:
- Overview to the Data Model Scorecard®. The Scorecard is a set of ten categories for validating a data model. We will explore best practices from the perspectives of both the modeller and reviewer, and you will be provided with a template to use on your current projects.
- Reviewing conceptual, logical, and physical data models. The conceptual data model captures a business need within a well-defined scope; the logical data model captures an application-independent business solution; and the physical data model captures the technical solution by focusing on factors such as performance and security.
- Ensuring the model captures the requirements. We will focus on techniques such as the use of spreadsheets and business assertions to ensure the data model meets the business requirements.
- Validating model scope. We will focus on techniques for validating that the scope of the requirements matches the scope of the model. If the scope of the model is greater than the requirements, we have a situation known as “scope creep.” If the model scope is less than the requirements, we will be leaving information out of the resulting application.
- Following acceptable modelling principles. We will focus on techniques for building sound designs.
- Determining the optimal use of generic concepts. There are three questions we need to ask before using abstract concepts such as Party and Event.
- Applying consistent naming standards. We will focus on data element and entity name and relationship verb phrase structure, term, and syntax.
- Arranging the model for maximum understanding. We will focus on techniques for arranging the entities, data elements, and relationships to maximize readability.
- Writing clear, correct, and consistent definitions. We will focus on techniques for writing useable definitions for both IT and business professionals.
- Matching the model with the enterprise. We will focus on techniques for ensuring the data model complements the “big picture”.
- Comparing the metadata with the data. We will focus on techniques for confirming the data elements and their rules match reality. Does the data element Customer Last Name really contain the customer’s last name, for example?
- Data Modellers
- Data Architects
- Data Analysts
- Enterprise Architects
- Solution Architects
- Application Architects
- Information Architects
- Business Analysts
- Database Administrators
- Project / Programme Managers
- IT Consultants
- Business Users
The Data Modelling Masterclass seminar has been endorsed by The International Institute of Business Analysts. As such, this course has been approved as being aligned to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK) and hence is recommended training for business analysts who wish to sit the exam to become Certified Business Analysis Professionals (CBAP). By attending this course, you will earn 12 PDs (Professional Development hours) or 12 CDUs (Continuing Development Units). For further information on how to register for the CBAP examination please refer to certification at www.theiiba.org.
|Data Modelling Fundamentals is a pre-requisite course to the Data Modelling Masterclass course. Register on both Fundamentals and Masterclass and save £220. Delegates who do not attend the Fundamentals course should, at a minimum, have an understanding of data modelling concepts.|
Steve Hoberman is the most requested data modelling instructor in the world. Introduced at over 50 international conferences as everything from a “data modelling guru” to “data modelling rock star”, Steve balances the formality and precision of data modelling with the realities of building software systems with severe time, budget, and people constraints. In his consulting and teaching, he focuses on templates, tools, and guidelines to reap the benefits of data modelling with minimal investment. He taught his first data modelling class in 1992 and has educated more than 10,000 people about data modelling and business intelligence techniques since then, spanning every continent except Africa and Antarctica. Steve is known for his entertaining, interactive teaching and lecture style (watch out for flying candy!), and is the author of five books on data modelling, including the bestseller Data Modelling Made Simple. He is the founder of the Design Challenges group, inventor of the Data Model Scorecard®, and CEO of Technics Publications.
Hotel Venue and Accommodation
12-13 September 2013
VENUE: etc.venues Paddington
57 North Wharf Rd
Paddington Basin, London, W2 1LA
Sales: 020 7989 0590
Switchboard: 020 7989 0590
13-14 March 2014
Venue: TBA, London
London Accommodation: IRM UK in association with JP Events Ltd has arranged special discounted rates at all venues and at other hotels nearby the venue. Please visit the JP Events website for further information.
Email: email@example.com Tel +44 (0)84 5680 1138 Fax +44 (0)84 5680 1139.
- Subject matter and/or speaker required
- Estimated number of delegates
- Location (town, country)
- Number of days required (if different from the public course)
- Preferred date
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8866 8366
Fax: +44 (0)1923 828 770
Speaker: Steve Hoberman
Data Modelling Masterclass is an endorsed course by the IIBA
Data Management Series
Data Modelling Fundamentals
- 2nd course 10%
- 3rd course 15%
- 4th course 20%
- 5th+ course 25%
Group Booking Discount
20% discount for 5 or more registrations made at the same time.
We regret that this offer cannot be used in conjunction with the Multiple Seminar Discount or any other discount.