Current Public Seminars
"It was a very enjoyable course which James did a great job in presenting. The flow of the course was very well put together, it walked you through the different types of modeling tools that could be used to help understand the business you were trying to design. It explained when and why you should use the different modeling tools to help understand the business and define the Stakeholders. It was a very interactive where you were encouraged to ask questions and put your own ideas forward on the examples given. There were several workshops where you were able to use the different models you had learnt to design a specific business, which you then presented to the rest of the class explaining your reasoning for your design."
Charles Cooper, Senior Business Analyst, HP
"Attending Mastering Business Analysis seminar brought me even closer to understanding what IT can do for business."
Gasper Babic, IT Account Manager for Comops, Lek Pharmaceuticals d.d.
"Very interesting and confirmed my beliefs of what a BA should be doing."
Kelly Newnham, Business Analyst, Scottish & Southern Energy
"Very good explanations when questions aired. Lots of real life examples too."
Claire Pearson, Business Process Analyst, AQA
Mastering Business Analysis
The Pragmatic, Integrated Approach to Business Needs and Solutions
To view a recent Webinar by James on “Business Analysis and Leadership” click here..
Click here for an in-house quote request or for further information regarding in-house training.
Business analysis is the bedrock of business change and automated system development. The task of the business analyst is to uncover the real business, and communicate it in such a way that all stakeholders can reach a consensus on the best way to improve the business.
Business analysis is a combination of process and data modelling, systemic thinking, innovating, presenting ideas, and several other skills. In short business analysis is about uncovering the true business needs and finding solutions to make the business work better.
- How to discover the real business needs, not just guess at a solution.
- How to improve the business processes by automation or other means.
- How to define a project so that it can yield real benefits, and have all stakeholders agree on the objectives.
- How to determine the most beneficial project scope for improving the work.
- How to use various models to understand and communicate the business processes and stored data.
- How to use business events to partition the work into natural segments for easier understanding.
- How to present and communicate your ideas.
- How to think systemically, and innovatively, to find the best solutions for the business.
- How to be a better business analyst.
- What is business analysis?
- How business analysis fits into the development cycle.
- Why business analysis is vital part of any business change.
- How business analysis works in your organisation.
- The foundation of the project
- Using the Business Model Generation canvas to ensure that the end result of the project is well understood and worthwhile
- Defining the value proposition, and how that can be brought about
- Understanding the intended future state of the business
- Setting the scope of the problem
- Defining the interfaces between the problem and the outside world
- Building a context model
- Measuring and estimating the effort needed
- Are we solving the right problem?
Modelling the Business
- The strategy of modelling
- Business events as the optimal way of partitioning the problem space
- Prioritising business events
- Process models – UML, BPMN, data flow, scenarios
- Data models / class diagrams
Finding the Solution
- Getting to the future state of the business
- Innovation and how to make a real difference
- Innovation techniques
- Systems thinking
- Systems dynamics models
- Having the best solution is not enough
- Communicating with your stakeholders
- How to present and sell your ideas
- Working effectively with stakeholderS
- Business Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- Project Leader
- Requirements Engineer
- Product or Program Manager
or similar titles. We also ﬁnd Users and Software Customers beneﬁt from learning advanced business analysis techniques, and how they can contribute to the organisation’s wellbeing.
- All teaching chapters are reinforced with hands-on workshops
- The course is run informally with lots of opportunity to discuss issues with the instructor
- The course is made relevant to your work situation
The Mastering Business Analysis course has been endorsed by The International Institute of Business Analysts. As such, this course has been approved as being aligned to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK) and hence is recommended training for business analysts who wish to sit the exam to become Certified Business Analysis Professionals (CBAP). By attending this course, you will earn 16 PDs (Professional Development hours) or 16 CDUs (Continuing Development Units). For further information on how to register for the CBAP examination please refer to certification at www.theiiba.org. The IIBA endorsement is registered by the Atlantic Systems Guild.
|Along with the seminar materials, delegates will receive a FREE copy of Business Analysis and Leadership: Influencing Change, Penny Pullan, James Archer et al.|
|James Archer is co-editor of Business Analysis and Leadership (Kogan Page - Sept 2013). He is a former Business Analyst of the year and has been an organiser of the European Business Analysis Conference since it began.
James uses his more than 20 years’ experience helping people, teams, and organisations tackle difficult problems and challenges by: designing an individual approach to challenges drawing on creative problem solving, business analysis, programme and project management skills, tools and techniques; discovering the essence of the real business problem before leaping into technical solutions; using design thinking and ethnographical research to really understand the customers perspective; using a systemic approach that recognizes the biggest challenge in implementing change is working with people.
James is a consultant and trainer in the Volere approach to requirements and is an associate partner of the Consulting and Training company Perspectiv.
- Subject matter and/or speaker required
- Estimated number of delegates
- Location (town, country)
- Number of days required (if different from the public course)
- Preferred date
Telephone: +44 (0)20 8866 8366
Fax: +44 (0) 2036 277202
|Business Analysis Series|
|Working with Business Processes: Discovery, Mapping, Redesign and Requirement|
|Business Architecture: Building Alignment for Rapid Change|
|Mastering the Requirements Process|
|Business Rules and Decisions: Analysis Techniques|
- 2nd course 10%
- 3rd course 15%
- 4th course 20%
- 5th+ course 25%
Group Booking Discount
- 2-3 Delegates - 10%
- 4-5 Delegates - 20%
- 6+ Delegates - 25%
We regret that this offer cannot be used in conjunction with the Multiple Seminar Discount or any other discount.